SailNet Community - View Single Post - How big a holding tank vs. camping
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: How big a holding tank vs. camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
Ive been a yacht broker on and off for 25 years and of the thousands of boats I have been on they all smell like do do you are just used to it or don't have a sensitive nose
I will say though where you think pooping in a bucket is a nasty affair I think sucking 25 gallons of poop out of a boat to be a deal breaker You say potato I say potato??? something like that
Our boat does NOT smell like it. Likely what you are smelling is the anaerobic bacteria and sulfur smell common with flushing as they grow in the fresh water line and populate. THat has nothing to do with poo. A fix for that is simple: put in a inline strainer with a CL tab. I have done this for years and it has left my boat smelling 'boat-show new'. Before that, my boat had a smell which I traced to that. It wipes out that bacteria and what is often associated with poop smell. Just so you know, that sulfur smell will hang around the inside of a boat for a while. I wonder if it may be heavier than air? Anyways, a well built and maintained holding tank system should not stink. It should be a fully closed system that vents to the outside. If it does you may have hose problems, aeration problems, maintenance problems, or a small leak somewhere.

As far as preferring to bag your poop versus pumping it out, I won't argue that point as it is a personal decision. I guess you do know when your tank is full though! (smile)

BTW, I have been cruising since 2000, raised kids aboard basically since birth, and owned fixed keels since the mid 90s or so. I am not new to this either.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook