SailNet Community - View Single Post - Curious Customs: Setting Price Before Setting Sail?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2002

bobneidhardt is on a distinguished road
Curious Customs: Setting Price Before Setting Sail?

Dav-O,

It''s just you! That''s the way the brokerage business works ... and it works well. I tried to sell a boat by myself. It was in the $40K price range. Big mistake! Everyone wants to go sailing. They make appointments and don''t show up. They make verbal offers that are 50% of the asking price. After almost a season of this, I handed it over to a broker. He raised my asking price, sold it in 2 months for net more than I expected to get myself. The net more, was after his 10 % commission.

I love to go sailing for free too. That''s just what you are describing. You went sailing with some of the private owners because they are too "close to the deal". You didn''t make any formal, bonafide offers to them... you wasted their time.

Sorry to be so cold and blunt, but it''s business. On the other hand, you should not be afraid to put your money up on a boat you are serious about. Any good broker will not cash your check, and get it back to you if there are problems that you are not satisfied with after a trial/survey.

Good Luck,

Bob N
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook