SailNet Community - View Single Post - Engine start shuts off chartplotter
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Engine start shuts off chartplotter

When I start my engine (Yanmar 4JH-TE) my chartplotter turns off and I have to restart it. I believe that this occurs because the electrical draw of the starter is so great at the instant that it engages that the sensitive electronics of the chartplotter lose needed power. I don't notice any other problems with other instruments but I can't say that with 100% certainty.

I only have 1 battery bank and no separate starting battery. The bank is big; 3 D-cell gel batteries with about 500 amps of reserve power, connected in parallel. The chartplotter is on the circuit with other electronics (ie: depth sounder, knot log). The VHF is on a separate circuit. Something just doesn't seem right with this.

I would like to add a starting battery but not sure the best way to wire this up or where to place it. That however, is another discussion. Would that solve my problem though or is there something else that is going on that this is a symptom of?

One thing I am suspicious about is the engine block ground. The bolt that screws into the block for the ground is loose (there is a little play in it) and was JB Welded in place. I'm wondering if I should remove that ground wire and attach elsewhere on the engine? If so, where? Ideas?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook