SailNet Community - View Single Post - Was the freighter messing with me, or did I mess up?
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road
Re: Was the freighter messing with me, or did I mess up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb760 View Post
I found this book to be invaluable when it comes to avoiding large vessels at sea.
How to Avoid Huge Ships: John W. Trimmer: 9780870334337: Amazon.com: Books
Although a serious topic to sailors, this has been bounced around Facebook and such, because the title comes off as odd to most people, and the comments are hilarious:

"TOO Informative. Read this book before going on vacation and I couldn't find my cruise liner in the port. Vacation ruined."

"Captain Trimmer's other excellent titles: How to Avoid a Train, and How to Avoid the Empire State Building"

"- Do not charge the huge ship at full speed in an attempt to scare it off. This may work with coyotes, but it is less effective with huge ships.
- Similarly, do not roll your boat over and play dead. Unless the huge ship is captained by a grizzly bear, this will not work.
- Do not attempt to go under the huge ship. This is typically not successful.
- Do not attempt to jump over the huge ship."

"Given the amount of dog mess that is on the pavements I thought this book would be the ideal read to stop me having to scrape my shoes on the grass before going home. It was only after it arrived that I looked closely at the title and realised it said 'How to Avoid Huge SHIPS'."