SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Sydney-Hobart 2013 and Radford 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
At the risk of sounding overly critical, it is not surprising that they did not get a better result. Either they did not have the correct downwind sails or they decided to take a conservative strategy. The conditions during which they are flying the poled-out #3 with double-reefed main probably called for a 1.5oz or storm kite, if they were in full-on racing mode. I am not criticizing that decision, but I am willing to wager that other boats that finished ahead of them were being more aggressive, and carrying kites up to the limits of their prescribed range.

Of course, it is likely those boats have at least a few professional sailors on board, but I think if you want to make a good result in this race you have to push harder. For me, I probably would have kept a spinnaker up as much as possible, during daylight hours, and switched to the poled-out jib at night, if wind conditions called for it.

Again, it is easy to make such comments from behind a desk, staring at a computer screen. But I've raced in conditions just like that, so it's not like I'm suggesting crazy, reckless stuff.

But they definitely looked like they were having a terrific time, and even in the big breeze they enjoyed shorts-and-technical shirt weather. Very comfy.
Yes anyway they go fast for amateurs. I have said they were on the tail of the race. You see lots of boats that by the numbers look slower finishing well ahead. For instance you see lots of First 40 5 hours and more ahead.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook