SailNet Community - View Single Post - Determine Travel Life Sling Points?
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
As a side note, if you ever get "craned" instead of Travelifted, make them use a cinch belt (could go by another name...)...it's a lighter length of webbing used to hold the slings in place should they guess incorrectly on your weight distribution. It's used commonly on full keelers and "half moon" keelers like Contessa 26s where slippage could be an issue.

It was made mandatory for ALL crane-hauled and launched boats at my club after a Hunter 28 was slung according to the little marks on the topsides...and this in fact proved to be mistaken, and the bow end slipped out and smashed into a cradle and the parking lot. Kaboom. Split like a melon at the first bulkhead, and distorted most of the way back in the hull.

It was a damn shame for the owner, who I believe pursued matters with Hunter despite his insurance payout. But it illustrates why I don't like Hunters, I suppose: old fellers at the club remarked that an identical mishaps happened in the early '90s to an Alberg 30, which fell bow-first 12 feet, crushed its cradle and suffered only minor blemishes!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook