SailNet Community - View Single Post - How big a holding tank vs. camping
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: How big a holding tank vs. camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
I use them when needed and have and will continue to. Here is something to think about. Zero discharge means zero discharge. By that standard 100% of all boats sailing with gas or diesel engines are breaking the law by discharging raw fuel into the water 100% of the time the engines are started and run. Poo? who gives a ****
This is the kinda crap that broke sailors do that makes it harder for other broke sailors. You may not give a **** about your poo, but the guy on a boat a couple of moorings over who sees you dump your bait bucket of brown trout will likely give a ****.

You can try to rationalize your "i'm too broke to afford a proper non-smelling marine head, or too incompetent to make the one i had work" philosophy anyway you want to, but you might find your explanation is an uphill battle when you are asked to leave a mooring field and your boat is tagged because you do not have the requisite sanitary equipment.
In fact, I can pretty much predict the answer you will hear from marina staff- "That discharge keeps us in business- your discharge is bad for business."

Oh, and don't drink, at least in North America- having a beer on your boat, even on a mooring, without a head, puts you at risk of a DUI.
That fine will put a real dent in your low-buck cruising budget.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook