SailNet Community - View Single Post - why so long?
Thread: why so long?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: why so long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
Could you make a curved tiller, with an extension, to give yourself enough room? Like this:

Karl's Cape Cod Boat Shop -- Custom sailboat tillers increase your steering control!
that's kind of what i was thinking about. a shorter tiller that curved sharply, so that it would raise the tiller height. i was just concerned about losing the leverage of a longer tiller.

Quote:
You can get hardware for making your own extension:

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_i...AbsolutePage=1
duckworks carries one, too. it's of a little bit different design, i believe.

Quote:
If you do switch to wheel steering, make sure you keep access to the rudderhead easy, so when the wheel gear fails you can easily install an emergency tiller.
that's one concern i have about going the wheel route. not only am i concerned that i won't like it but i prefer simplicity. less to go wrong. you can't get much simpler than a tiller. but, i suppose, if i did eventually choose a wheel, having an emergency tiller would help with that; as would proper maintenance.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by captain jack; 01-18-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook