SailNet Community - View Single Post - why so long?
Thread: why so long?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: why so long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post
1) There is a Monty Python skit where there are five guys in a lifeboat

"How long is it?"
"Kind of personal don't you think?"

that is what I though of when I saw the thread title

2) Mentioned already that a long tiller gets you to the center of the boat (closer to the mast)..

I wonder if there isn't a leverage benefit of a longer tiller. Didn't Archimedes say: "Give me a long tiller and a place to sit and I will steer your world"

Edit:Neither here nor there... I wonder why when you do a google image search for boats...some you find mostly sailing pictures and others you find mostly in a boat slip (what I found with your boat).. Not sure what that says about a given boat, but I guess if I was searching a boat I wanted to buy and half the pictures were of capsized boats... I would change my mind
a longer tiller does have a leverage advantage. during archimedes time, when rudders were not balanced as many are now, that was very important. if my rudder is balanced, it wouldn't be that important.

i would hazzard a guess that the reason you mostly see pics of these, older, cal 27s in the slip is that most of those pics come from sales ads. most ads don't contain nice pics of the boats sailing.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook