SailNet Community - View Single Post - why so long?
Thread: why so long?
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: why so long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
i believe the boats originally came with that tiller. i, also, would prefer a shorter tiller with an extension. but, i do see the point for a longer tiller for solo sailing. however, the traveler is in the stern, so the mainsail's control lines are all easily reached from the stern. also, there are winches, for the jib, close to the stern. i think it could be easily single handed with a shorter tiller. it is true that the longer tiller would allow a solo sailer to sit closer to the cabin, moving his weight forward for up wind sailing. but, in a boat that weighs 5400#, i am not sure how much the weight of one person would affect the handling.

faster added the more technical points to my post but basically youde be surprised HOW MUCH your wieght influences your boat by changing positions

like I said before your cal 27 has a very active racing scene at clubs and stuff and a long tiller is preffered for the reasons mentioned...on boats like the j24 I even like to sit on the coaming as helmsman on reaches and pointing as you want most of the weight to windward to keep the boat FLAT

flat is fast and using your weight to help the keel if you will does wonders

but like said before and by others since you have crew a smaller or shorter tiller will clear up your cockpit a bit and be more user and crew friendly

especially sinceyour controls are mostly AFT

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook