SailNet Community - View Single Post - Should I be looking at a 31 or a 33 Hunter?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007
Lake Ontario Sailor

Skipperlee is on a distinguished road
Camaraderie gave a pretty good synopsis of his Hunter 33. I bought a new one in 2005. It is my first new boat and I'm in love with it as is my wife. We daysail and take cruises on Lake Ontario for weeks at a time. For yourself go sit on a 31 then sit in a 33. You'll notice a huge difference. It's the first time my wife has said we should look at the larger boat.
As far as quality goes the only complaint I have is that of several voids in the gelcoat in the cokpit area. These were fixed immediately by the Broker. The boat has a 5 yr warrantee stem to stern so most prblems except for osmosis should show up during the warrantee period.
We installed a full compliment of electronics which makes my decisions easier.
We went as far as to install a heat pump/airconditioner which extends our season. The air has a sampling system which samples the air on the boat every couple of hours when at the dock and not attended. If the humidity is too high it switches on to dry the air and prevents any of the musty smells that can develop due to damp humid air in the boat. It sounds decadent but it's been a pleasure having it.
The cockpit is big and the wheel folds so that at the dock there is plenty of room to walk by it. We use stern boarding.
The boat is fast and handles very well. Down wind the boat tends to be slow as we have a furling main which has a smaller sail area than the normal rig. However; I purchased an asymmetrical spinnaker this winter so that should solve my need for speed.
Ultimately it needs to be your decision. Good hunting.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook