SailNet Community - View Single Post - Even pros run out of fuel
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2007
Senior Moment

RickBowman is an unknown quantity at this point
Gasoline Stowage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowle
OK, so maybe this is naive of me and just a dumb question, (but I am kind of a newbie)....for just day sailing what would be wrong about bringing a couple gallons of fuel in a 'gas can' stowed securely below or in a lazerette (as long as the temps weren't too high?

You should not stow or carry an explosive fuel below deck or in any confined storage area aboard a vessel that is not vented out and away. A gasoline leak, vapor or liquid, from that container will allow explosive gas to accumulate in the lowest part of the interior of the vessel, as gasoline vapor is heavier then air which could create an explosive condition with any ignition source, a 12 volt bilge pump switch is an excellent source for ignition, as it is about as low as one can get in the bilge. Traveling jerry cans latched on a sailboat deck are an eyesore and a danger as well; spillage and venting problems with the containers just to name a couple issues. I normally fit the small plastic gas tank to the bottom of the dink and tow it behind. If the dink must come aboard, the auxillary tank gets stowed and attached to the stern railing, but never, ever inside of a locker, or inside the vessel.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook