SailNet Community - View Single Post - Downside of living aboard
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2014

tadavidson is on a distinguished road
Love the Sea Life

This is my third (could be final, as in never go back to land again) time living aboard. I have lived on a mooring off Shelter Island in San Diego, in marinas in Mission Bay, Channel Islands Harbor and now Ventura Harbor. The first two times ended not by my choice, and when I bought my fourth sailboat in 2011, I could not have been happier. I was getting my life back again! Moved aboard in 2012 and now happily share my 32' space with my awesome Schipperke, Tanner (a dog). Everyone else has pretty much gone through the up and downsides of LA, but I don't think this was mentioned.

Might be because there are fewer women doing this alone than guys, but the biggest challenges for me besides those already mentioned, have to do with socializing and dating. I, for one, never want a guy I'm dating to come to my sailboat until I really know, trust and believe there will be something significant from the relationship. That means not getting picked up for dates, not inviting them home, and if sailing, I meet them with my boat at a nearby dock (like the fuel dock). I am just very protective of my safe place, which is my sailboat and slip in my Marina. That, and land-based people not getting why this is for me, is a tough one. Friends will think it sounds really great, but they don't know the reality from their romantic notions of "getting off the grid."

So when others come aboard, I end up feeling like a control freak, neurotic person with regard to how they treat my boat/ home. When they go sailing with me, and get scared in big blows, I tell them not to worry. I know what I'm doing and don't intend to render myself homeless. :-)

These are but a few of the social issues that I find an ongoing challenge. Any others with stories or thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook