SailNet Community - View Single Post - Paella recipes
Thread: Paella recipes
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Paella recipes

One thing to mention is there are two types of chorizo and they are NOT interchangeable. Mexican chorizo is good for very little but tacos. Do not use it for Paella! If you can't find chorizo and you want some sausage I would use andouille it will have a different flavor, but not too bad. Heck the thing I like about Paella is it is kind of like a stir fry, you can throw what ever you have on hand in the cooler. Don't get upset about not having an ingredient, with the possible exception of saffron and short grain rice. Lots of folks like there shrimp shelled, that is OK, but if you do that sauté the shells in olive oil with a bit of onion and garlic, then pour the stock over them and simmer it for around 10 min, or so. This will give the taste of the shrimp shells and heads (if you live somewhere that you can get head on shrimp). I hate to see someone throw away shrimp shells. I keep clam juice around too, that can supplement or replace the broth.

Some additions I like to put into mine is fresh sweet corn on the cob (cut into 1 inch sections can be raw or leftover) mushrooms, lima beans, zucchini especially baby zucs with the blossom still on, broccoli, leeks, ramps, pretty much what ever fresh stuff I have around. I know that it may veer off of what is officially accepted, but if it is fresh and good then throw it in!

And any good sized saute pan will work, though a paella pan does seem to be best. When I ran a Spanish restaurant we did it in a standard carbon steel pan and transferred it to a ceramic presentation plate. I wanted to order real pans but the chief did not want them.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook