SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gate valves, with scary photo
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2007
"Quack, damn you."

pmoyer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pmoyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
While you're down there, look at the shaft seal, the rudder stock, the zincs. If the through hulls are bronze, scratch the through hulls and see what color they are.. if they're pinkish... replace them, as they're suffering from galvanic corrosion and will fail soon.
Thanks again, everyone. I think I'll schedule a weekend on the hard right after Memorial Day weekend. I can take Friday off from work, get them to haul and block her, and take my time to make sure it's done right. There are only three through-hulls on the boat, and I'll feel a lot better if this is taken care of.

Shaft seal - she has an outboard, so no shaft to seal.

Rudder stock - there's a bunch of play in the tiller, but it seems like the entire assembly moves. Here's a picture:

The poorly-drawn green arrow is pointing to a base plate. Even the base plate slides around when I wiggle the tiller assembly. Not sure of the best way to fix that....

Through hulls - I was planning to replace them at the same time as I replaced the gate valves. As long as she's hauled, what's another 60 bucks?

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook