SailNet Community - View Single Post - Diesel vs 4 stroke outboard???
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2002

Sfilson is on a distinguished road
Diesel vs 4 stroke outboard???

After reading everyone’s message on your topic, I thought I add some more info to your difficult decision. I have a Columbia 26 MKII with a 2 stroke outboard. I don''t like it and I am envious of boats with 4 Strokes. 4 strokes are quiet and do not have a "smokey" exhaust like 2 strokes. I agree with everyone who said don''t install an inboard with out having an engine bed designed for your boat. But, I also wanted to as that Diesel fuel is somewhat safer to have aboard rather than Gasoline. Gasoline is many times more combustible than Diesel. However, if your gas is properly handled you won''t have a problem.

What I don''t like about outboards is their clumsy portable fuel tanks. They never seem to fit in compartments or they are sliding around. One time, on my previous boat, when sailing in some choppy seas, I decided to put the tank in the aft compartment. Even though the tank was sealed, it managed to leak before I got back to port. It made a huge mess, and stained the inside of the hull. But the worst thing was the fumes, my boat filled with them. This was very potentially dangerous. Ever since, the tank ALWAYS remains on lashed down the weather deck. It is very unsightly.

I plan to install an inboard fuel system for the outboard motor in my current boat. I am just trying to figure out the particulars with connecting the tank to the motor. I think I will use the existing rubber fuel line for the outboard connection, but I need to have a good connection for the tank end.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook