SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone used Colgate''s Offshore Sailing School in Captiva?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2002

mpin422 is on a distinguished road
Anyone used Colgate''''s Offshore Sailing School in Captiva?

I see all of those who have responded have had a good experiance with The Colgate school. I on the other hand did not. I attended the school in New Jersey and did my basic keel in the Hudson.The course cost just shy of $900.00 ,which after researching I have found other Basic keel courses for 1/3 the amount. (Ok I''m a bit bitter that I did not research schools better....I was just pumped to get started.) I would not be so bitter if I was taught better....our instructer was a 22 yr old who was intimidated by his class being twice his age. He usually came in a bit hung over and just had us sail around in circles....when he was on time. We never practiced docking,tieing the boat up to a dock, rigging the sails,Etc. Reading it in the book is one thing, actualy doing it is another. The worst thing was when we were finishing up our solo sail and were going to motor in, the motor would not start.....(oh yea we did not go over the engine either.) We were making a bunch of short tacks threw a narrow channel into the marina...when my buddy who was at the helm tacked too fast and we did not have enough speed to complete the next tack.Our colgate 27 was now on a colision course with a 60 + ft. yacht. The owner who was waving his arms franticaly and screaming some colorful metafores was hanging over his stern. Our other classmate panicked and froze...I was telling her to back the main...BACK THE MAIN !...I then ran to the bow of the boat and was able to push off the mega yacht and avoid any contact. The problem was that the clip for the engine kill button was missing....they had use a thin piece of rope wraped around the shank of the kill switch to keep it pulled out. ( The funny part was I asked what that piece of rope was ...instructer said ahh nothing.)Well that is my story...but perhapes the best thing I learned was never depend too much on anybody ...even your teacher...if you have a quetion ask it ....and if you don''t get the right answer ..ask it again. But experiance will always be your best teacher.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook