SailNet Community - View Single Post - Teak deck caulk
Thread: Teak deck caulk
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Teak deck caulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
To extend the life of an open tube of TDS, I seal the cut open tube with several layers of VINYL tape, cover with plastic wrap and put the tube into a large plastic zip lock bag and suck all the air out of the bag, and then put the whole shebang into the refrigerator. I can get a month or two, sometimes more of storage life in this manner ... right next to my uncleaned and bagged varnish/badger brushes, etc.
For longer term storage I put it in the freezer.
Short of the refrigerator/freezer, I've done exactly the same thing. Trouble is, I will touch up a few feet of caulking, here and there, at the beginning of the season and then not need it again for months. Sometimes not until the next season. It's such a waste to squeeze out an inch or two of the tube, just to toss the rest.

I wonder if a vacuum sealer would do the trick? I somehow doubt it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook