SailNet Community - View Single Post - Using a temporary mooring
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Ouch.. and D'oh... I'm surprised no one ever told you...
Oh... we got told.. quite extensively after we dragged

We entered the harbor at dusk in August and the field was almost completely filled. This was a close in mooring right across the channel from the dinghy dock and it was getting pretty dark so we just grabbed it. At around 6am we got the hail from the boat next to us who we lazily drifted in to (no thuds, scratches or anything - we were lucky). After he explained to us the system, we quickly moved to another mooring in the field that was sized correctly.

An hour later, the guy from the "rental" company that owned the mooring came out and yelled at us for not calling the number on the mooring the night before. We quickly tried to explain that we moved there only an hour earlier but he didn't care. We ended up paying for two moorings that morning - the original one plus a little (since we didn't want to cheat the guy who owned the original mooring and he would have to reset it) and the one we were on for 3 or so hours (it was easier than dealing with a pissed off mooring owner).

I do love Rockland though. I can't remember the name of the hotel that's across from the police station, but the restaurant there has awesome steamers and chowder. Also, that food stand in the parking lot at the dinghy dock has great lobster rolls! Why does it seem that most of my favorite cruising spots seem to be ranked based on the quality of food available???
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook