SailNet Community - View Single Post - Alberg 37 or Cape Dory 36
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2002

thomasstone is on a distinguished road
Alberg 37 or Cape Dory 36

Hey Darius, another reason I like a cutter better is the ease for singlehandling, you can have two smaller headsails instead of one big genny. In heavy weather you can easily drop your headsail and sail with your staysail and reefed main, plus in really nasty weather a cutter is a very well balanced rig when hove to with a storm jib and trysail. I personally have sailed on a couple of different cutters and dont recall hanging the jib up on the inner forestay being a problem, besides on an offshore passage you could be on the same tack for days.The big reason for me is I am a singlehander myself and a strong proponent for self steering(wind vanes).On a yawl the boom of the mizzen mast would get in the way of your self steering gear. While thier are alot of boats that will certainly sail better ,thier is always going to be a boat that will sail better or look better on paper.I think Jeff also said these boats are slow and wet. Compared to what? Sailing offshore is always wet whether on a modern egg beater or a heavy displacement boat, again with a proper dodger and weather cloths this can be kept to a minumin.I think both of these boats are in the 16,000lb range anyways so depending on who you talk to I would consider these more of a moderate displacement. Lastly I think this gets over looked to much , but you are right on ,looks matter alot. I think I read this once her but somebody said when you tie your boat up for the day and start walking away, do you stop and take one last look?
thomas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook