SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a 1st boat
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2002

KPBaker is on a distinguished road
Buying a 1st boat

BNoble,

I agree with the previous comments pertaining to attending some schools and gaining time on the water.When I first started sailing,I attended two excellent schools...the first was "The Offshore Sailing School" at Captiva,Fla.,and the second was "The Annapolis Sailing School" in Annapolis ,MD.If you are close to either of these schools I think it would be well worth your time to attend one, or both.Once you get some experience on the water, and some schooling under your belt, you might want to look at charterng a boat or two. It will help you get the feel for how different boats handle which will be beneficial when you start the selection process for a boat.I''m planning on moving up to a larger boat in a few years, so I''m also trying to determine what is the perfect boat for me. I''ve been researching boats for about a year now.This site has a wealth of infomation (Jeff''s comments) and the boatcheck pages.As others have pointed out, what your plans are now may be totally different in 4 years.If you are going to be circumnavigating, your choice for boat will have a different set of criteria than if you plan on being a coastal cruiser.In the mean time,plan,research,save$$,and dream.Good luck!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook