SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Dehler 38 viewed by the Jury:

The British from Yachting World:
To develop the next generation of modern performance cruiser, Dehler has ignored the current trend to hard chines, double rudders and retractable bowsprit….. The design is unquestionably a Yudel / Vrolijks design. And while it is certainly meant for cruising sailors, he will often be found with equipment and deck layout for ORC and IRC regatta races. Notwithstanding the regatta potential the Dehler is at the same time easy to sail solo or with a short crew use.. All this and the possible rig and keel variations make the Dehler 38 very polyvalent on this competitive class and size.

The Dutch from Waterkampioen :
Dehler is finally back!!. A very nice sailboat very well-designed features, maybe a little dark inside, but with surprisingly good solutions, as we were used to Dehler from the seventies and eighties .... very nice to look at and also a good family boat, the 38 is not specific sailboat, but a very clever combination of good ideas -... a true performance cruiser "

The Swiss from Marina.ch :
The first Dehler, enteirely built in Greifswald, is in a truly positive surprise: Dehler is still Dehler in terms of design, but also on the sailing characteristics. The design is striking and the slender hull does not have pronounced the missing chines.. . ..The Dehler 38 is a great cruiser that will not disappoint also on the race course.

The Norwegians from Seilas:
Dehler was on the target with many right decisions and created a performance boat that will serve many purposes. The Dehler 38 is a great family boat, but also a fast performance cruiser that without being revolutionary or innovative or revolutionary, its nice and sails well.

The Italians from Fare Vela:
If you are looking for an attractive, well-designed and well-performing fast boat for a small family and one at a good price, then the new German boat might be right one. The design is modern and good: the deck layout is consistent and well-adjusted, the interior shows a modern style with some new ideas … Obviously you cannot expect perfect results or material of the highest quality for the contained price, but everything looks stylish and neat.
In what regards sailing the Dehler 38 is a good all-rounder, with a power that can bring joy even in club regattas. But even if you have sporty cruising on the target you should order the complete performance package with both deep keel and Regatta rig. Either way, the Dehler can be regarded as a timeless performance cruiser, a good successor to the Dehler 36…

The Austrians from Yacht Revue :
The Dehler 38 could be the definition of performance cruiser concept: Good looks from the inside out, perfectly functional deck layout, fast sailing in all conditions and a very attractive price.

The French from Voile and Voiliers:
The Dehler 38…. is a fast cruiser with no weak points. Very nice and aggressive look, clever and current layout below deck as well as good performance on the water.

The Spanish from Nautica & Yates :
The Dehler has all you could expect from a a 38-foot performance cruiser or cruiser / racer : We were impressed by its speed and ease of sailing. The handling and maneuverability are well thought out for regatta courses, but cockpit and deck still provide comfort when cruising. Design and building are of high quality while the price is reasonable.

The Deutch from Yacht.de:
While many shipyards were working in this segment of lighter, stiffer, even faster boats while neglecting the comfort, Dehler takes a different approach with their new 38. It is just as nimble as comfortable. This may not be revolutionary, but it gives it a broad appeal and works in practice really very well. The owner can choose between more power thanks to several rig, keel and lightweight options, or equip the boat more to cruising. All this for a price that is hard to beat. A great comeback for a brand that has passed through many hands and finally seems to have the original Dehler DNA. "

Well, not very exciting as a performance cruiser but highly valued as a fast cruiser for the family. The Italians point out very rightly what I had been sayng about this boat: that for this one to be a performance cruiser it has to be outfitted with a huge number of very expensive extras, from epoxy hull to taller rig, deeper keel and so on...and then is not "cheap" anymore but much more expensive. This in the lower end version it is more a sports family cruiser than a performance cruiser and not one suited for racing.

It seems that everybody was in accordance in choosing this boat but I did not posted some Jury opinions that were....humm not very clear, for instance the Danish member mumbled about this boat being slower than the much smaller XP 33 (also in competition) and the Swede jury that the best it says about the boat was : "a yacht that is exceptionally free of annoying errors. "

Not very exciting for a performance cruiser but (on its standard version) certainly one of the best family cruisers on the market and a fast and beautiful one.

It seems to me that the categories should be more clear and more numerous: Family cruisers seems alright for me as well as performance cruisers but it is needed another one for cruiser-racers, like the Xp33 or the MAT 10.10, faster boats pointed more for racing at high levell then cruising but that can be also used as a a very fast cruising boat. A truly polyvalent boat.

Sure a performance cruiser is also a polyvalent boat but here we are talking about club racing and more or less extensive cruising potential, not about top racing.

Don't take me wrong, I love the Dehler 38 and now that I am becoming old, It might very well suit me as a cruising boat but it seems unfair to me that a boat like this one could be compared for example with a Sydney 37. How can you judge and compare boats that are aiming to so different objectives and market public, one primarily aimed for cruising and some club racing and the other aimed for top racing and some non extensive cruising?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 01-22-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook