SailNet Community - View Single Post - Greece: Dodecanese vs Ionian islands
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Greece: Dodecanese vs Ionian islands

HI Joost,

Last year I just went to the first Islands of the Dodecaneso, Donussa to be more precise. I had plans to make that area but 15 days lost on account of an accident and the not previewed need to get back to Rome (to repair the boat) at the end of the season, instead of living it on Greece, changed my plans.

Those small Islands (Little Cyclades and the smaller Dodecanese Islands) are a piece of the paradise with much less tourists then bigger Islands and also much less sailboats. They are protected by wind and some waves from the crowd of charter boats

But I see that you have a Pacific Seacraft 34 so probably it would not be a problem for you but off course, it can be for the others.

Regarding the sea and wind conditions, there are Dodecaneso islands near the Turkish coast and also others (the smaller ones) more exposed. On those ones the difference to the Cyclades is not significant. On that zone the normal wind in the summer is F4/F5, rarely is F3 and with some frequency is F6/7/8.

Contrary to what would be expected the stronger wind is near the Islands were strong gusts can be felt. The sea is not dangerous in the summer but can be uncomfortable since the type of wave is a short one and the Islands sometimes create waves from slightly different direction. The waves rarely are bigger than 3m but even 2m short period waves can create a lot of motion. In short, if you have on the crew people that gets seasick with sea motion probably it will not be a good idea and that Ionian zone that I had suggested will be much more indicated. You will have wind in the afternoon (less) on almost flat water.

Even if everybody is not prone to get seasick if you get the bad luck to have at the time of the charter F7/F8 or if you arrive immediately after some days of meltemi, the sea will be quite rough and disorganized. Even downwind with a F7 or F8 is very uncomfortable.

To give you an idea I will post a video that I made last summer, the wind is F5 conditions (the forecast was for F4). Remember that on a movie the waves seem smaller and I was going downwind.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 01-22-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook