SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Solo and short crewed racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
By one of those odd coincidences, I have had occasion to race on one of the M.A.T Mini 6.50's:

M.A.T. Sailing Yachts - M.A.T. 6.5

More specifically, I have sailed on several occasions on the former CAN 415, when it was based in British Columbia, including the Swiftsure Race in 2006. What's rather funny is that I knew it was built in Turkey but didn't realize it was built at M.A.T until today. Great boat, albeit with rudder issues that took a long time to sort out - indeed, not sure they were ever sorted.

Boat also did the Around-Vancouver-Island Race, I think in 2004 or 2005. The owner at that time had the goal of doing the Transat, but sponsorship money never came together as planned. Pity, as he is a good sailor, with Open 50 experience, as well.
That is really sad since the costs of solo racing on a mini is really small and the return big....I mean for the ones that follow the races and I guess the Americans don't.

Maybe that is changing but I guess it will take time in the US. In Great Britain, even with all conservatism regarding sailing they are changing fast and solo and short crew are becoming much more popular. The Vendee Globe is very big now also in GB and they are desperate to win it. Just look at this movie:

and it is not only in what regards open class boats and the Figaro class but also on IRC. As we all know the last Fastnet was won on compensated by a duo crew but maybe you have not noticed the number of duo crews. Have a look:

Sailing Results

and I bet that this year that percentage will increase again as has been increasing with each year.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 01-22-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook