SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Is A Boat Really Worth?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014

Jiminri is on a distinguished road
Re: What Is A Boat Really Worth?

Everyone has different priorities.

A bit more than 3 years ago I purchased my first "big" boat...one with a head and galley, etc. A bit more than 1 year ago, I put that boat up for sail and purchased a bigger one.

Financially, not smart. Not smart at all. The $s I spent on upgrades to the first boat were (not surprisingly) not recouped. But I have ZERO regrets. I figure those $ bought me an education. I learned what I liked and did not like in a boat. What was important to me and what I wanted to avoid. I began learning about boat systems and how to diagnose problems and fix them (or find the right person to help.)

Mostly, however, I SAILED! I initially pulled the trigger after a short search of a few months. My free time is limited, but I got on the water as much as I could. That's the real reason for no regrets. I had a sailboat. It's a boat, not an investment.

Now, there's lots of folks much smarter than me who could have figured this all out without following the path I did and saved some $ in the process. So, I don't offer this up as a model, just to say I am ok with the path I took.

All that said, I think looking at boats for sale is blast. I'm sure I'm on yachtworld at least once a week. I'm not going to buy a third boat (yet...my wife's making me type this) but it is fun to look.

Everyone has to find their own way to happiness. I hope Julie finds hers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook