SailNet Community - View Single Post - Holding tank location
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Roger-

Part of the reason flexible bladder tanks are much worse, odor-wise, than fixed tanks is that they generally don't have any sort of vent installed in them... and they tend to produce more anaerobic, bad-smelling, bacteria than a fixed tank that is properly ventilated.
Sorry, but the above is not true. Flexible bladder tanks most certainly do have vents installed in them. Nauta makes a bladder in particular meant for either diesel or as a holding tank. It has an extra liner compared to regular bladders and also a 5/8 inch vent line. My boat has had a bladder holding tank installed as original equipment (it's finally leaking) that I am about to replace, probably with another bladder because of space limitations. The secret with all holding tanks is to keep them pumped out and flushed with fresh water to the maximum extent possible.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook