SailNet Community - View Single Post - Route from Maine to North Carolina
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014

KIVALO is on a distinguished road
Re: Route from Maine to North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
I've done that trip at least once and took the route you pretty much have laid out here. Overnight across the Gulf of Maine in the right weather is the best. We like Onset to anchor overnight, it's just over an hour (favorable current) once you're in the canal.

There's great sailing from there through Buzzards Bay and Nar. Bay, lot's of stops you shouldn't miss along the way(but you can't do them all).

I think the trip through Long Island Sound and NYC is a great urban passage, I've done it several times and never get tired of it.

You'll likely be going mostly if not entirely off the coast of New Jersey. But there are a few great spots, like Cape May at the end. Same with going up the Deleware B., not always pretty but planned correctly, its fun. The upper reaches of the Cheasapeake are beautiful.

Two weeks is pushing it in that weather could hold you up in several areas, but I suppose it is doable. Good luck, it's a great trip.

I've done that a few times now and its a lot cooler than I thought would be. In daylight and night time, was a lot of fun.
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook