SailNet Community - View Single Post - PSC 34/37 How fast (or slow)
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014

DaveMancini is on a distinguished road
Re: PSC 34/37 How fast (or slow)

Hi Jay,

The boil down as I see it is this: ocean cruising is not about how fast we get there, it's about getting there in one piece, safe, rested and maybe even in a little style. And when we do get there, we'd rather go snorkeling or enjoy the sights and not have to repair a bunch of stuff that broke along the way because the boat is not quality built and outfitted. Personally, I love being at sea and one more day on a 20 passage is not a negative. Ocean cruising is about leaving all that get-there-fast stuff behind anyway. All of us who have cruised in a Pacific Seacraft understand these things. What is tiresome is having to justify our boats on the basis of speed alone. As far as I'm concerned, people who would leave a PSC out of consideration because they believe them to be slow, at the expense of more important factors like seaworthiness, comfort and quality, just don't get it, and I refuse to go down that road with them (fast or slow) and attempt to persuade them based on their flawed paradigm.

Dave Mancini
PSC34 #305 Swan

Last edited by DaveMancini; 01-24-2014 at 10:19 AM. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook