SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I think this sketch represents what we are talking about.
With the conventional bow profile I get 15.62& more area in the bow section.
I chose a section that would be representative of the area in question. The rest of my proportions are intended to be reasonable approximations of the actual shapes you would encounter.

Yes of course but that is not what I am saying. If you look at the two drawings and what I said:

"If a more traditional bow was used the bow buoyancy would be smaller for the same LOA":

[/quote]

You will see that we are not talking about the same thing. I am talking about the same LOA and LOD and you are talking about hull length.

In fact I think that your boat with the conventional interior even with the same hull length has in fact a superior interior volume (we can see that on the plan, on the forward part), in one word is bigger and I have said that previously:

"For a given purpose you will not be designing a smaller boat on the deck and interior space when using an inverted bow instead of a vertical or slightly inclined one, so in fact you will get more buoyancy using an inverted one.

This was what I meant to say. Of course if you maintain hull length you will have not only less buoyancy on the bow but also a smaller boat not only on LOD but also in interior volume and space and what makes sense when talking about a similar sized boat is interior space not LOA."

Maybe after all we are not disagreeing

One of the biggest advantages that I saw in an inverted bow is the possibility of keeping on the waterline a more rounded profile (like they are doing now on the Open boats) but having a shape on the superior sections that will offer less drag to waves, dissipating better the energy. Of course it will be complex because it is also needed to provide a shape (on the top) that will took away the spray from the deck. The more rounded shape at waterline will increase in much the buoyancy and volume (a bit like on the bath tube bow) but an inverted shape can provide a better wave penetration than on the bathtube bow. Interesting stuff in my opinion. I believe we are going to see on the next years some funny looking bows on race boats and performance cruisers

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 01-24-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook