SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rescued at Sea - Are You Prepared?
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road
Re: Rescued at Sea - Are You Prepared?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Grateful for their rescue despite being in the water for 90 minutes and their rescuer crushing and sinking their boat.

It restores my faith in humanity.
Sadly, the link you published here is no longer valid.

However, in our case, the rescuer instructed us to sit back and let them handle it.... then they nearly killed us.

Granted we should not have called for "assistance", but it shouldn't have been so badly mishandled - thus the value of this thread!

I was in the water, frequently sinking until I vomited to regain buoyancy, for over 4 hours.
The rescuer approached me each and every single time with me being on their windward side - which caused their throwing of buoys to be ludicrous since they were only blown right back at them. I was screaming at them for hours to come to me on the other side.....
They refused to deploy their lifeboats to pluck me out of the ocean, because the retrieval of it via cables was impossible due to the 10 foot waves - but it could have been towed until it was possible to retrieve it.
Which again supports the concept of this thread, that WE have to direct our rescue. The rescuers do not want to expose themselves to danger.

We are grateful for our rescue, which mostly occurred even though it was as mishandled about as much as could be.... thank God, and the fight to live.

As far as any faith in humanity, if (God forbid) you are ever drowning in the ocean, but can see 2 lifeboats remaining on the deck of your "rescuer" - throughout the most horrendous and traumatic event of your life - only then will you be in any position to quantify any "faith in humanity".

Fair winds.....
Doug Sabbag
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook