SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Thanks Out. I appreciate your kind comment.

When I was 15 years old I would start the day with a huge bowl of cornflakes. I would cover the top with .5" of white sugar. I would get out my files of Bill Garden and Phil Rhodes design and eat my cereal while going through the designs. I would usually eat around three bowls of cereal before I was done. Porbably a half cup of sugar. But what I was consciously trying to do was to imprint my own eye with the sense of proportion that Rhodes and Garden had. I literally thought about it like that. I wanted to learn the skill that probably Garden and Rhodes were born with. The thouht of growing up to draw butt ugly, crude boats never entered my mind.

I was 15 and on walkabout. I had walked from our home on Mercer Island, accross the floating brdge, through Seattle to Fremont where I crossed the Fremont Brdige and continued down the north side of Lake Union. Among the marinas and docks there I saw SEQUIN the steel hulled Garden designed Schooner that had, at one time, belonged to my doctor Earl Lasher. It was a magnificent vesel fallen on hard times. Someone had painted the entire boat and I mean ENTIRE boat sort of bright distress green. I was devastated. Garden had laid out a delicate and sensitive paint job for SEQUIN.

But as I looked at it I thought, under that awful, ignorant paint job are some beautiful lines. I thought, when I design my boats I want them to be able to retain their dignity of design even when have been left to rot.

Kids think weird things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site