SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rescued at Sea - Are You Prepared?
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road
Re: Rescued at Sea - Are You Prepared?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Why are you resurrecting an old thread to start this over again? We are all glad you survived and we learned something from your ordeal. Indeed, one may be able to better direct their own rescue. However, your rescuers have zero obligation to comply with your instructions and owed you nothing. Many feel your lack of gratitude is distasteful.
What I just did was provide my experience toward the subject matter of this thread: What and how to direct your own rescue.

Pointing out that the rescuers are not "obligated" to utilize all of their equipment toward a rescue, with my experience, is useful toward this goal.

This should be seen as proof of that which many people might not believe, as I found very hard to believe and accept myself.

This is not a matter of "gratitude", it is a matter of experience being applied toward future preparation on all levels. Avoiding this knowledge by calling it "distasteful" is counter productive. Though someone might not want to hear this experience, or might want to rationalize it, is outweighed by the value of dealing with it head on.

I did not direct our rescue, and experienced the ramifications of that. This thread's purpose is to enlighten someone else so that they will not depend upon the grace of God and or their own ability to fight for their lives, when their "rescuers" do as mine did; i.e., only what did not place them into harm's way.

Not everyone knows this as well as you might; I know I didn't. This thread's greatest value is to impart that knowledge into people's bone marrow, so deeply, that they do not sit back when their "rescuer" says they can and leave their lives in their hands.....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook