SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Paulo:
I'd love to know the thinking about starting the chine so far forward. I have my own ideas but I don't trust them. Yet.
I would not look a try to understand that based only based on functionality in what regards sail performance since that hull is a compromise (a good one) that has also to do with the building material and building technique (plywood and epoxy). Here a better picture of the forward section:

This is a hull based on open boats concept and with a large transom. I would risk to say that in this case the main objective is to deflect spray (keeping the deck free of water) and create some lift on the bow area when the boat is planing downwind (the boat is designed to plan at something like 16/20K downwind).

Bur for a better analyse of this type of hulls the best is to look to the best that is done at the moment, the Pogo40 S3 designed by Verdier. It is a race boat, very light and therefore the hull is less deep but we can see that the chines also begin quite forward:

It seems to me that the finality is the same and in this case also connected with the big asymmetry of this hull while sailing upwind. Probably that chine so forward is studied also to give directional stability to the boat and create a "groove" at the more efficient angle of heel when the boat is sailing upwind.

These boats are solo boats and therefore designed to be sailed on autopilot at high speed and near the limit and anything that can contribute to an easier boat to sail and that doesn't affect performance in a significant way is welcome and can be a performance advantage.

I think you are going to like this video:

This is an Akilaria 950, a race solo boat that is at midway between a mini racer and a Class40. The guy filmed the underbody while the boat is sailing upwind. We can see that almost half of the hull bottom is out of the water (with a low heeling angle) and that the immersed part is a very narrow one even if the boat has a huge beam. Pity he had not done the same at the bow

regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 01-25-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook