SailNet Community - View Single Post - Passed my Master's License tests today
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
You're SO right about the CG. A normal, intelligent human being would have decided it wasn't worth it after looking at all the hoops you have to jump through just to submit an application. It's almost impossible to get them to answer the phone, closed every other Monday and all Fridays, office hours are NOT the same as the testing room which is part of the same office etc. I'll give em credit though, they were helpful when I did get through to them. I would recommend anyone wanting to get a license to just take a class, it would take the hassle of having to go to the CG to take the tests out of it and shorten the timeframe considerably. I'm sure you wouldn't learn nearly as much because they tend to just teach what they know is going to be on their test though. Going at it alone you have to learn it all because you could be asked anything out of the entire database of over 14,000 possible questions. I was doing it to learn as much as I could, and I learned way more than I expected to, so I am happy I did it this way. However, I don't think I'll remember what CG form 2692 is for, or what the fine is for not reporting an incident of sexual harassment is($5000), or who publishes the Tide and Current Tables for very long :-)). There is a phrase that I picked up during my studies that has become a favorite of mine. It relates to when there is a pilot on board and the Captain gives a command that contradicts the pilot. The question is which order do you obey. Answer: "Obey the Master!". Wifes not crazy about it. John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook