SailNet Community - View Single Post - ?Supporting boat to work on bottom??
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 04-13-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers
I had the same issue with my boat. I got four stands, two that are more often seen supporting power boats. I was able to position those two stands under the hull aft, where the hull form is fairly flat. I then screwed the pads up to raise the stern a bit. Then I took a ten foot 3x5 timber and placed it thwartships under the bow. Inside the forward end of the trailer I used an over-sized bottle jack with a 'V' block cut out of wood. I got the bottle jack, 20 ton, for $30 at the local discount tool store. I bought it oversize just for stability purposes. I used the bottle jack to raise the bow. After I'd raised it about a foot, I placed concrete blocks on either side of the trailer, with the 3x5 resting on them. I then lowered the boat down on to the 3x5 and blocked up my jack for the next lift up. I think I ended up with the cement blocks four high on each side. I adjusted the rear jacks as I raised the boat. Once I got the bow up to the fourth block height, that was sufficient for my trailer's fenders to clear the 3x5, and I pulled the trailer out. I continued jacking until I got to the height where I could get my forward boat stands under the bows. I then raised it further with all four boat stands.
The 3x5 was handy because sometimes I needed the 3" height, and sometimes the 5" height, while jacking up the bow.

I was seconds away from getting the final paint stripped from the hull, and the new bottom paint on, when winter returned with a vengence. With my luck, someone will make an offer on my 'for-sale' house and I'll have to lower it back on to the trailer, transport it, and repeat the procedure before i get it painted.(g)

I hope you have an older barn. I could envision some fun if you have pre-fab joists.

“Scientists are people who build the Brooklyn Bridge and then buy it.”
Wm. F. Buckley, Jr.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome