SailNet Community - View Single Post - SSB antenna
Thread: SSB antenna
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2007

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Hi guys

The boat is a Morgan 44 GRP, sloop, what more can I add? The radio I was thinking of is an Icom IC-M700 or something like that. It'll not be HAM, just marine SSB. Unfortunatley I have no idea what tanks etc. are fitted. Believe it or not I haven't seen the boat in the flesh yet. On my previous boat I had a Kenwood, can't remember the model, with an antenna tuner and it worked a treat on the backstay with no real ground plane to speak of. I spoke to South Africa and Australia from Maldives with pretty clear voice.

Bill Mc
The GAM thing looks pretty good to install in a hurry and then make it more permanent when I get the boat home. Oh, and it's not a delivery, I am buying the boat for myself. I'll get a hold of those guys and have a yarn with them. Thanks for the link.

Btrayfors (Bill)
Can an antenna like this be used with a tuner? If the dipole is cut for a certain frequency then (to me) that's no different to a backstay which is fixed length. If a tuner is used with this, is it fair to believe that more than one frequency can be transmitted? And how would one install one of these on a boat? I guess the two legs of the dipole need to be running in opposite directions so it seems this setup would take up some space.

I also have seen catamarans with long whips (16 feet) on the back of the boat and this is why I figured this may be the easiest way. I'm just not sure about range for transmitting. There'll be times when I'm going to be a heck of a long way from anybody else but HF really doesn't care about that does it?

You guys can probably tell by now that I don't know a whole lot about these things.

Thanks for info so far.
Andre
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook