SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Sirius 40DS

The Sirius started to be a small German family shipyard (it still is) that designed and built their own boats. The finish and built was truly outstanding as well as the interior concepts but the hulls were not designed by a top Na and that showed in performance. All that changed some years ago and now they work with Marc-Oliver von Ahlen, a talented NA that we had spoken here about the new SQ25, posted by Robelz, one of the most interesting pocket cruisers around.

Yachtdesign v.Ahlen

Now the boats have not only incredibly interiors as they sail well, offering all possible keel configurations.

It is not only me that find them fantastic. The press said about the 35DS:

“Is this the best boat ever built?” “Perfection in 35 feet.” “…most impressive cruiser we’ve ever tested.” “I am convinced that I have met the perfect cruiser.” “…one of the most painstakingly designed and built semi-custom yachts in the world…” “The deck saloon principle knows no better exponent.” “It’s the highest score we’ve ever awarded, by some distance, and it reflects the wealth of ideas, craftsmanship and pride built into this extraordinary yacht .... As a custom-built, luxury cruising yacht, you’d struggle to match her. 93 out of 100 Points!”
“... 5-star ambience.” “... a miracle of space.” “The central cabin… if I could give 11/10 scores, I would.” “the most salubrious heads we’ve ever seen… looks like it belongs in the “The Ritz”.” “…as individual and exiting as a mega yacht.”

Before you jump to buy one let me tell you that the price is accordingly with the quality and that means very high They sell boats to everywhere in the world, to the ones that want a small boat but maximum comfort and build quality and have the money for it.

Their 38 was the only one in the line still "in house" designed and it is going to re replaced by a 40ft designed by Marc-Oliver. It seems that this one will even have a better performance since it has a "performance" version. When I am old enough I want one of these, that's for sure

The dimensions:

LOA 11.99 m....LWL 11.17 m.....Beam (Hull) 4.00 m ..Draft 2.10/2.00 m/ 1.75m / 1.50 m m....Twin keel 1.40 m....Swing keel 1.00 – 2.40m

Ballast approx. 3.40 t ....Weight approx.10.5/11.60 t.....Mast height above water 18.50 m

Mainsail 45.3 m2...Self-tacking jib.. 32.2 m2...Genoa I 60.4 m2 Spi 140.0 m2....Furling Gennaker 95.0 m2..Furling Drifter 75.0 m2

Performance rigg with 20% more sail area.

Normally they have a cutter rig so they will carry the genoa and the jib at all times and that means on the performance version an upwind sail area of about 126m2 and that for 10.5T is not bad, I would say that is going to be a pretty fast cruiser, if one chose the performance version. Have a look:

Just to have a feeling about what I am talking about have a look at the 35ds interior and just imagine it a lot bigger.

Sirius-Werft Plön | Cockpit/Saloon | 35 DS Cockpit/Saloon

Sirius-Werft Plön | Saloon | 35 DS Saloon

Sirius-Werft Plön | Owner´s cabin/Head/Shower | 35 DS Owner´s cabin/Head/Shower

Sirius-Werft Plön | Forecabin/Head | 35 DS Forecabin/Head

Sirius-Werft Plön | Technic Room | 35 DS Technic Room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 01-27-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook