SailNet Community - View Single Post - One Last "All is Lost " thread
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014

GMC is on a distinguished road
Re: One Last "All is Lost " thread

I liked it. His human reactions (not his perfect sailor reactions) were what impressed me. Sitting on a bunk after some disaster with his mind slowly churning through fatigue and pain, he looks here, he looks there, something occurs to him, he acts. This was the stuff that seemed real to me. Another movie would have him instantly recognizing problems and impressively resolving all of them per Chapman's. What seemed extraordinary about the movie was how tensely it could be told without dialogue. I saw an interpretation above about the fire and the lifeboat and rising to the hand in the water. Another interpretation was that the rising fire in the lifeboat was not unintended and that this was either going to work or not, but it was going to end right there. And obviously the alternative interpretation to the hand is that in fact he meets his God and not the hand of a mortal savior. Whether he is saved or not is a whole other conversation swirling around the movie. But as I said, I liked it for a picture of how I think most sailors would be under the circumstances (or maybe how I think I would be), not how they think would be. That is, making mistakes, bowing to fatigue, plodding on. Anyway, my two cents.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to GMC For This Useful Post:
salukikev (03-27-2014)