SailNet Community - View Single Post - Recreational Sailboat vs. Tugboat with Barge: Who Has the Right of Way? - See more at
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: Recreational Sailboat vs. Tugboat with Barge: Who Has the Right of Way? - See mor

Jack, what L124C is referring to is there are a few designated anchorages in the San Francisco Bay Area for moored barges. Moored barges will not always display lights. Barges do display the proper lights while being towed. A majority of barge movements are done after midnight when the winds are down so recognizing the lights is pretty important. The biggest difficulty I have encountered at night are the tug and barge lights tend to get lost in the background of lights on the Bay. I am extra vigilant in looking for lights moving in relation to their background. The designated areas (that I know of) is Quarry Point and the stretch of the San Joaquin River past the Antioch highway bridge. The USCG designated the area north of the new Bay Bridge construction as a temporary mooring field which was reported in the notice to mariners and the coast pilot update.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook