SailNet Community - View Single Post - Recreational Sailboat vs. Tugboat with Barge: Who Has the Right of Way? - See more at
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Recreational Sailboat vs. Tugboat with Barge: Who Has the Right of Way? - See mor

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
Marksoflife, in this case the tug and barge are stand on regardless of all else, He is restricted in munevability due to the channel width within the bay and the barge be pushed or pulled, this particular barge is pretty good size.

r
Well then the sailing vessel is not the stand on vessel.

My posts were about being at sea.

In a channel the tug is the stand on vessel but needs to be aware that others may not realise it, say in areas outside a channel but where the ship etc is constrained by draft. I cant tell if a ship or tug is. They must tell me.

A previous post mentioned San Francisco bay, i didnt read it too carefully, and i havent sailed there, only touristed there.. . But any large port like san francisco, new York, Sydney, English channel, etc is probably going to be all channels so any tug will be the stand on vessel in all likelihood.

But that doesnt give the tug the right to run a sailing boat down. If the tug and barge is unsafe in the channel then it should not be allowed to move. The port authority/traffic control etc should administer its movements... For example it should close the harbour if no other shipping can use the Chanel at the same time as the tug etc

In the oft quoted "the book" the book applies to small boats as well as big boats. Just because we are smaller and at leisure does not mean we are second class citizens in harbour or at sea.

If a tug can't operate on his side of the channel effectively either other shipping must be notified, or the tug banned, or the tugs captain assigned to driving tea pots in the lunch room

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook