SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I just had another read thru Smack's long diatribe. Hell hath no confusion like a dyslexic on a forum!
Who gives a rats ass about a bit of paint on welded on stainless handrails ? Why would a free cruiser give a rats ass about an armchair critic, who knows little about cruising boat priorities? Some one dense enough to believe the blocks in the photos are not as strong as the commercially made ,plastic decorative priority blocks he advocates , someone dense enough to believe that the 3/16tgh shackles on a commercially made blocks are stronger than the 3/8th inch shackle or the1 1/4 inch wide by 3/16th aluminium becket on the one in the photo?
As someone pointed out on another site, Smack would be able to sabotage any test he did on anything, and given his basic dishonesty, (quotes constantly being taken out of context, words added ,left out, etc) it would be inevitable!
Vendi globe boats have twin rudders huge difference.
The weakness and distortion of Smacks arguments is demonstrated by the way he has to keep harping on about a typo.
He claims that lifelines must be 36 inches high , but his hero, Bob's Passport 47 has 31 inch lifelines. Some of Bob's boats have 24 inch lifelines. No solid top rails like mine , only trip wires.
Bob claims not to have designed the Reliance 37? That's was the name on Malcolm's drawings . I guess denial is one way to avoid responsibility. It worked, for some people, on the aluminium boat too. Appears to be a pattern forming!

Smack is implying that plastic thru hulls are stronger , unlike the fully welded in sch 40 stainless pipe nipples I use!
Without ever having seen one of my boats, Smack claims that most of the ones he has seen are for sale. Dyslexia again?
I can count on one hand the boats of my design which have come up for sale in the last ten years . Some are constantly being harassed by people wanting to by their brentboats which are not for sale .
You still haven't explained how you get a ball of kelp or a fishnet off a spade rudder in rough water at sea at night. Mine slide right over them without fouling anything .That is a far safer and thus stronger arrangement for a cruising boat.
Smack claims that a white poly pipe would not be in any worse shape after 36 years in the sun? So much for his credibility!
Scrap stainless for a wind vane would not cost anyone else any more than it did me.
Smack confuses the life expectancy of halyards with that of sheets . Sheets are not halyards. Ask someone who has a clue about sailing, to explain the difference to you ,Smack.
I first hit a Fijian Reef in my cement boat and lost her in conditions which would not have even damaged a steel boat. Viski hit while leaving Suva on her circumnavigation, with minimal damage, mostly lost paint .Wong never hit a Fijian reef . Your dyslexia is acting up again. Smack.
Wong hit in the Balerics and in Panama .

Wong is a far bigger boat than mine, or a36. I have no idea how he painted her initially . I was in Mexico at the time.
I estimate that over 905% of the boats built to my designs are sailing g within a short time . A Texan from Hicksville Texas claims to know more about the subject, without ever having seen one of my boats, than I do. Who do you believe ? Check out the photos section on the origamiboats site for more info.
Wont look because you don't want to see the answer? Your problem!
With the aging population and the aging of old boats with perfectly good gear we are awash in sailing gear, in excellent conditions, and the supply is growing daily . Boats are being ground up for concrete reinforcement . Any one can find good deals on gear
This post of yours is getting longer and longer.

Remember dude - they are all your words. Not mine.

And longer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I just had another read thru Smack's long diatribe. Hell hath no confusion like a dyslexic on a forum!
Who gives a rats ass about a bit of paint on welded on stainless handrails ? Why would a free cruiser give a rats ass about an armchair critic, who knows little about cruising boat priorities? Some one dense enough to believe the blocks in the photos are not as strong as the commercially made ,plastic decorative priority blocks he advocates , someone dense enough to believe that the 3/16tgh shackles on a commercially made blocks are stronger than the 3/8th inch shackle or the1 1/4 inch wide by 3/16th aluminium becket on the one in the photo?
As someone pointed out on another site, Smack would be able to sabotage any test he did on anything, and given his basic dishonesty, (quotes constantly being taken out of context, words added ,left out, etc) it would be inevitable!
Vendi globe boats have twin rudders huge difference.
The weakness and distortion of Smacks arguments is demonstrated by the way he has to keep harping on about a typo.
He claims that lifelines must be 36 inches high , but his hero, Bob's Passport 47 has 31 inch lifelines. Some of Bob's boats have 24 inch lifelines. No solid top rails like mine , only trip wires.
Bob claims not to have designed the Reliance 37? That's was the name on Malcolm's drawings . I guess denial is one way to avoid responsibility. It worked, for some people, on the aluminium boat too. Appears to be a pattern forming!

Smack is implying that plastic thru hulls are stronger , unlike the fully welded in sch 40 stainless pipe nipples I use!
Without ever having seen one of my boats, Smack claims that most of the ones he has seen are for sale. Dyslexia again?
I can count on one hand the boats of my design which have come up for sale in the last ten years . Some are constantly being harassed by people wanting to by their brentboats which are not for sale .
You still haven't explained how you get a ball of kelp or a fishnet off a spade rudder in rough water at sea at night. Mine slide right over them without fouling anything .That is a far safer and thus stronger arrangement for a cruising boat.
Smack claims that a white poly pipe would not be in any worse shape after 36 years in the sun? So much for his credibility!
Scrap stainless for a wind vane would not cost anyone else any more than it did me.
Smack confuses the life expectancy of halyards with that of sheets . Sheets are not halyards. Ask someone who has a clue about sailing, to explain the difference to you ,Smack.
I first hit a Fijian Reef in my cement boat and lost her in conditions which would not have even damaged a steel boat. Viski hit while leaving Suva on her circumnavigation, with minimal damage, mostly lost paint .Wong never hit a Fijian reef . Your dyslexia is acting up again. Smack.
Wong hit in the Balerics and in Panama .

Wong is a far bigger boat than mine, or a36. I have no idea how he painted her initially . I was in Mexico at the time.
I estimate that over 905% of the boats built to my designs are sailing g within a short time . A Texan from Hicksville Texas claims to know more about the subject, without ever having seen one of my boats, than I do. Who do you believe ? Check out the photos section on the origamiboats site for more info.
Wont look because you don't want to see the answer? Your problem!
With the aging population and the aging of old boats with perfectly good gear we are awash in sailing gear, in excellent conditions, and the supply is growing daily . Boats are being ground up for concrete reinforcement . Any one can find good deals on gear.

Plans for my 36 are $350 . Smack calculates the cost of plans , book and DVD at $425. Winston did that, and got sailing for around $35,000.
For that, his hero Bob Perry, will sell you a set of plans . Then, instead of a boat in sailing condition, ready to live aboard, you have a pile of paper, advice on how to put together a steel boat ,by someone who has never done it himself , decisions on what is right for a steel cruising boat, from someone who has never cruised extensively in a steel boat, who has stated that he just draws his pictures which ever way his whims take him , not giving a rat's ass how expensive an difficult it is to build.

Smack says, then you have plans from one of the worlds most prominant designers . You forgot one important part. He is no doubt one of the worlds best "PLASTIC" boat designers, without a doubt. He knows next to nothing about steel , having almost zero hands on experience in working with the material, building with ,or maintaining it.
Having the world's best PLASTIC boat designer, with almost zero knowledge about steel, design a steel boat, is like having the worlds best hockey player do your open heart surgery, as he is recognized around the world as being one of the best!
No, Wayne Gretsky ,you are not getting your slapshot anywhere near my ticker!
The ship which hit the Sleavins boat had the bluntest bow I have ever seen on a freighter. Trying to get that to punch a hole in 3/16th steel plate would be like trying to get it to punch a hole in a floating beer can .Is anyone dense enough to believe a floating beer can would be holed by that bow? The inertia in the beer can is simply not enough. Ditto a 36 ft hull with 3/16th plate.
The comment about wooden guns was a reaction to the ludicrous claim that wood is stronger than steel. Again,
Smack left out the context to distort the quote. Another reason to not believe anything he posts .

Early on in this debate Bob started spiting out Karate terms. Karate is a good metaphor for something being theorized into complete uselessness. I wasted a couple of years on that crap in my early 20's before I switched to boxing, which was far more connected to reality. I remember my trainer, a former world kick boxing champion giving a kid a few lessons for a Taequando tournament . 20 years later I watched a guy with only six weeks boxing training , kick his ass easily.

Wile 30 year old prices are not the same , the gap between steel and fibreglass prices are even wider.
This quote though is freakin' awesome: "No, Wayne Gretsky ,you are not getting your slapshot anywhere near my ticker!"

I'm definitely gonna use that one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-27-2014 at 08:43 PM.