SailNet Community - View Single Post - Embedded Chain plate maint/replacement
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014

Total Chaos is on a distinguished road
Re: Embedded Chain plate maint/replacement

The simplest way to replace chain plates and the one that avoids most problems has been mentioned several times. Through bolt the chain plates on the outside of the hull, little modification has to be done to the toe rail. The easiest way to do this is to bold through the existing chain plates... this does not have to be done blind, it can in fact be done exactly. Furthermore it does not matter significantly if the old chain plates have rusted or not. The old chain plates will be used as backing plates and provide far more than adequate compression even if they are have cracking or crevice corrosion. The bolts are combined with compression of the plates are what provides the massive strength. There is absolutely no reason what so ever to replace the backing plates with anything new. Remember compression is the key. I have seen many replaced with external plates and they look beautiful (to my eye) Crevice corrosion is the problem with glassed in plates as there is no O2 in there, I would never re-glass them in.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook