SailNet Community - View Single Post - Delmarva Circumnavigation
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: Delmarva Circumnavigation

No slight taken. Different folks will have different experiences, often dependent on boat size, sometimes on temperament.

A large issue is draft. A low tide and without good local knowledge (the locals know where every lump is) Chincoteage is limited to 7 feet and would be more difficult at night; though lit, the markers wind and would be chancy in the dark. I wouldn't. Watchapreague is also 7 feet, but there is a difference; Watchaprueage is a straight easy chanel, but does break and would be a bad place to ground. Chincoteague does not brake and the shallow spots are far enough in to be far less dangerous.

The point is, when the draft approaches 6 feet, boaters need to watch the tide, and folks with big boats in poor weather, at night or at the wrong tide can have a bad experience. On a trip of 15 days, there is no reason to sail into danger.

It always seemed to take us 8-9 sailing days, stopping where we wanted and leaving enough time for the kids to enjoy beach life. To do it in 10 days means a few long days and rushing. I'd take a little longer, with kids. We always allow for several days in Tangier and Chincoteague.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook