SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
Lemonchois capsized with "Prince de Bretagne" so Joyon will keep his record... Meanwhile Coville parks in the doldrums and is 400 miles behind the record.
"On Monday afternoon, at precisely 3:57pm, Lionel Lemonchois manually triggered the distress beacon of his 80-foot maxi trimaran Prince de Bretagne.

He had started his 11th day at sea, trying to break the Mauricienne record, from Port-Louis in Brittany to Port-Louis, the capital of Mauritius. When the beacon was triggered the trimaran was approximately 800 miles off the Brazilian coast, at the latitude of Rio de Janeiro, sailing under a southeasterly breeze between 16 and 18 knots.

Following the activation of the emergency beacon, the Prince de Bretagne shore crew in France was unable to get in contact with Lemonchois. However, early in the evening, the French sailor called his team to inform them that the trimaran had capsized. He was sound and safe inside the boat’s central hull but was forced to to cut her rigging."

Prince de Bretagne trimaran capsized; Lionel Lemonchois safe inside central hull | VSail.info

It scares the hell out of me to think how a solo sailor can not only dominate a monster like that 80ft trimaran as well as punch it to a record. It seems that goes not without risks. I know that this frontier land, pushing the limits to sail bigger and faster as a huge positive reflex on the development of systems that make sail and boat control easier, systems that have an almost direct application on cruising boats but I wonder till where they will go?

I suspect that it was not the record itself that led him to push too much but the successive 24 hours records from Armel on Banque Populaire. Probably he was trying for the 24 hours solo absolute record and that is really going on the limit...and with a monster like that is playing at Russian roulette. The wind was only 18k so he should wave full sails when the boat capsized. That can also indicate a technical failure or problem with the boat.

A French support team is organizing a towing operation from Brasil. It is going to take time but Lemonchois, except for an hurt hand, is safe is in the central hull and has plenty of food and water.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 01-28-2014 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Lemonchois capsized with "Prince de Bretagne"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook