SailNet Community - View Single Post - SSB antenna
Thread: SSB antenna
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2007

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Btrayfors

The dipole seems to be (with great respect to the design and your recommendation) a bit messy with wires all over the place. It is also my belief FWIW that you're going to need this radio thingy most when there's 80 knots across the deck and all hell is breaking loose. So the prospect of loose wires in the rig and on the mast and running through hatches that as a result don't really close (remember this is a temporary fitting for one trip only) runs deeply counter to my fetish for neat and tidy.

I'll be more comfortable with the GAM pasted onto the backstay for this trip which by the sounds of your comment will probably give me reasonably good performance across all the bands. I did understand that correctly, didn't I? I am not a ham and SWMBO knows only about ham that goes between slices of bread so those other freqencies you mention are probably of no value to me.

And in your opinion, is the Icom M700 with a suitable tuner satisfactory for this type of setup?

SimonV, what radio are you recommending at $900? A new IC M700 costs about $1900. Your estimate on the tuner is about what the dealer I spoke to came up with. And while I'm on the cost of the radio, who knows of a good used-radio dealer in the San Diego area that may have a good and reliable used unit for sale?

Please keep in mind that when I get to the US, I have two weeks to prepare a boat that I am seeing for the very first time when I arrive, for the voyage. This is very definitely not just about radios!! I need something that finds the best balance between speed of installation, reliability and performance. Gam starts to sound better each time I say it :-).

Thanks so far
Andre

Last edited by Omatako; 04-13-2007 at 10:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook