SailNet Community - View Single Post - why so long?
Thread: why so long?
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: why so long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Make the tiller the length you like, buy/make an adjustable tiller extension and you can steer from nearly anywhere in the cockpit. This boat is not really one where wheel steering is going to make life any easier, IMO.

http://www.americanriggingsupply.com...Extensions.pdf

Much better things to spend your money and efforts on than wheel steering at this point.
oh, i quite agree. thinking about wheel steering is only for future possibilities.

i am going to follow the advice of one of the other posters. i will make or buy a new tiller after i have sailed it. during the first few sails i will try steering from different positions, on the tiller, to determine the best length. then, once i decide that, i will make ( or buy ) a new tiller. i do like the ax haft suggestion.

i am not sure i would even like wheel steering. i have always sailed with tillers. but there is no harm pondering the future while i am on the subject of steering. perhaps, sometime, i will get the chance to sail with someone that does have a wheel and get to experience it. then, i would know if i like it or not. i have read all kinds of different opinions of wheel steering, on boats this size. however, i will never know what i think of it til i try it. i would prefer to try it before i invest time and money in it.

even if i never decide to go for a wheel set up, someone else reading this thread in the future might be able to use information posted here.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook