SailNet Community - View Single Post - why so long?
Thread: why so long?
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: why so long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
When I was looking at Islander 36's, I ended up choosing one with a steering pedestal over a tiller. Looking back, I wish I would have considered the tiller steered boat a bit more. Much more room in the cockpit with the tiller, easier to single hand, cleaner lines.

The pedestal has it's benefits as well I guess but on your Cal 27, I would think it would just take up too much space.

Also, as mentioned, $5k could be spent on a whole lot of other upgrades that would be more beneficial, imo.
well, actually, space is the issue i have with the tiller.

the cockpit on this cal is pretty tight. if you really crammed people in, you might get 3 to a side. but it would not be comfortable and you wouldn't be able to use crew/passenger weight to an advantage.

i think the long tiller, unmodified, is going to be a PIA with just me and one crew. i have friends and family that might want to go for a sail, too. i think 4, including me, is a reasonable number to aspire for. but the tiller spanning the entire narrow cockpit would make that rather an issue. i would think a wheel, mounted aft, would open up a lot of space rather than taking it up.

i would think a wheel won't take up the entire cockpit. the tiller, at present, does. i am curious; how does the wheel take up more space? i have heard people say that and, i must admit, i don't understand it.

by the way, i'm not asking because i intend to go out and buy one of their systems, right now. i am asking for future reference. of course, if i found a cheap used system.....

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by captain jack; 01-28-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook