SailNet Community - View Single Post - why so long?
Thread: why so long?
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: why so long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
The wheel is fixed, can't be folded up when done sailing. The wheel separates the cockpit into 1/3 - 2/3 sections.

Certainly while sailing the tiller requires one to move around the cockpit but, unless you're constantly tacking, it should be ok right? Surely shortening your tiller will help here.
ok. that exlains that.

yes, i am hoping that shortening it does solve the problem. thanks for explaining that for me. i have scratched my head about that, every time i read that in a post, somewhere.

if i were to, someday, go to a wheel, it will be pretty far aft, almost on top of the stern post, and i will set it up to steer while sitting to the side. i have seen that done before. that should alleviate some of that cockpit division problem.

this cockpit is pretty tight and narrow. even if there was no tiller or wheel at all you aren't going to be throwing any big parties in it.

i was more concerned with comfort while sailing than space when not sailing.

funny thing is, the present tiller pivots up but it won't stay up on it's own. the balance is wrong. but i would think a shorter tiller with an extension would not have that problem.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook