SailNet Community - View Single Post - Recreational Sailboat vs. Tugboat with Barge: Who Has the Right of Way? - See more at
View Single Post
post #69 of Old 01-28-2014
L124C

Re: Recreational Sailboat vs. Tugboat with Barge: Who Has the Right of Way? - See mor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luhtag View Post
Call them. These guys spend weeks and months at sea so they are more than happy to chat about the crossing situation unless of course it is a special circumstance. Most tugs will have you plotted more than 12 miles out in open water. If you are meeting them in a VTS then kindly understand that they are somewhat restricted even though they may not have a christmas tree lit up.
I was crewing during the Master Mariner regatta on the SF Bay. We were about to cross paths with a out bound tug towing a barge. One of our crew hailed the tug on VHF to ask his intentions. I was stunned when the tug responded that he would maintain position, while about 15 beautiful old wooden boats sailed across his bow.
However, I assume had the tide been ebbing instead of flooding, this wouldn't have been an option.

Last edited by L124C; 01-28-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome