SailNet Community - View Single Post - Adding a auxiliary outboard.
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014

Zuma is on a distinguished road
Adding a auxiliary outboard.

Hi guys, I have a Jeanneau Fantasia 27'-6" yacht. It has a Yanmar 1 GM 10 which is working fine. We are planning a UK circumnavigation in her next year and I am minded to add an outboard to her to give a bit more security in some of the remoter bits of the journey if the prop fouls or the Yanmar conks.

I got hold of the original manual for the boat and if my French is anything to go by (and usually it is not!) the transom on the Starboard side is reinforced for an auxiliary motor bracket and it does appear to be. The problem is that this is the place that the boarding ladder is now fitted. I thought about switching the ladder to Port to create space but that looks like the devil's own job and I am sure that I would need to remove the holding tank and the fuel tank to get at the fixings. I can get at the Port side, no problem, from the back cabin. I am wondering what I need to do to reinforce the transom on the Port side to take the weight and thrust of the motor. I have a nice piece of 1" teak for the outside. I am looking at bonding a piece of marinbe ply to the inside.

The motor I have is a 5hp Honda :BF5 weight 27k. Not very big or powerful I know, but reliable as hell and utterly bulletproof.

If anyone has done anything similar I would value an opinion or suggestion.

Thanks

Last edited by Zuma; 01-29-2014 at 03:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook